Monday, January 12, 2009

Snow

This past weekend was full of fun, but hard riding and skiing.

Saturday some of us went out into the snowstorm on our mountain bikes and did some dirt road riding. The snow was coming down hard and fast and the roads were impossible. It was very difficult to stay in a straight line, and just as difficult to stay upright on the bike on some roads. There were some sections that were so icy, that if you went down, you slid for a long time. The first time I crashed, I just started laughing. But even funnier than when I fell, was when others went down. We ended up going only 18 miles in 2 hours, but it was one of my favorite rides to date.

After the ride, I ate some lunch and then Brendan and I went skiing in the Arb. We were out for a little over an hour and half. There were some really fun downhills and some good uphills that helped build up my confidence on the skis. After the two activities, I was pretty tired, but quite happy with a day full of snowy fun.

Sunday, Steve and I went skiing at Brighton. The trail was actually pretty hard packed and fairly well groomed, so it was a really good time. I only crashed about two times, so I am definitely improving. This day was also pretty tough, though. There were some tough uphills, one of which my heart rate got over 180.

So, instead of years past when I got upset when it snowed, I embraced the snow this weekend and had a lot of fun. I think it is supposed to stay cold and keep snowing all week, so the fun isn't over yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nick- Way to go! If you live in Michigan you must embrace the winter. Sounds like a good time.
Take Care,
Mr. B