Monday, January 19, 2009

Epic Bonk

Yesterday while skiing I experienced my third worst ever bonk.

Quick Recap of the first two:
1. 24 Hours of Boyne 2004 when I was so low on blood sugar at 2 AM that I actually fell asleep (or passed out) while riding down the final downhill section. When I hit the tree, I didn't even care, I just took a little nap. When I got up to start riding again, it actually happened again. I finally got back 30 minutes after I should have (safely). (Picture to the right is before the race- 5 years ago- crazy)
2. My first ever century (solo) in 2005. The ride ended up being about 115 miles and my body couldn't handle the extra 15. When I finally got home after only barely turning the pedals, I got changed and went to the grocery store to buy ice cream. I think I ate a whole half gallon of ice cream.

So the thing about bonking is it can really suck. Especially when you are skiing and there are still about 3 miles left of hills. About two and half hours in, I just started falling apart. I didn't want to move anymore. I started getting chills, and all I wanted was to be done.

Luckily my body is resourceful and started burning something else (I am still hoping it was fat and not muscle), but I was able to recover and get back to the van with out passing out. It was a close call though. Next time I will bring lots of food for a 3.5 hour ski session at Poto.

Steve also bonked really hard, but didn't quite recover as well, so he was in the double-bonk phase by the time we finished.

3 comments:

Alan said...

Is that one laps at poto or 2?

Unknown said...

we did the 12 mile mtb loop minus about 3 instead of the xc ski loop

Anonymous said...

Nick- You guys are nuts!
Hope you are having a good winter.
Did you see on mikes blog he is going to the 24 hour boyne?