Monday, July 14, 2008

We're not in Kansas anymore

So on Saturday, Mike and I went to the Catskills in NY to race a Nationals Series MTB race. I learned a lot in the race.
1. People don't care about the hole shot out here- I got it with ease and was feeling good as I stayed away for about 5 minutes, until everyone started passing me.
2. Everyone started passing me because when the race promoters say you climb 1500 feet per lap, they mean you do it all at once. The last race I did (in Michigan) probably only had about 200 feet of climbing at most.
3. When you get the top and people say "It's all downhill from here," they don't mean it is easier, just faster. It actually turned out being just as hard if not harder going downhill. My hands have never hurt so bad.
4. I am not very good at sustained climbs- the short steep ones like what we have in MI seem to work better for me.
5. Being good in Michigan doesn't mean anything at a Nationals level race.
6. The picture to the right is how you know who is passing you (or for others, who you are passing.


So, this race was a very good learning experience for me. The course was very fun and exciting and it was really fun to race at such a big event. I am glad I was able to do this race because everyone says this course is very similar to Mount Snow, which is where Nationals are next week, so some valuable lessons that will help next week are quite welcome.


I ended up getting 9th place out of 15 in my class. Mike ended up not so good, but only because he flatted three times on his last lap. He says he was in the top fifteen when he got his first flat.
Overall- a very good time.

No comments: