Sunday, June 8, 2008

Brazil...I mean Brighton Stage Race

Hard. Hot. Hell. More H words that tell you how hard this race was.

The story starts on Saturday with the time trial and short track. For the time trial, my head wasn't in the right spot and ended up getting fourth, a minute and half down on the winner. That's all I really want to say about that. For the short track, I decided that I would do better and make up as much time as possible so I could move up in the overall. The short track ended up being awesome and I layed down the hammer of Thor. I was able to hang with a lot of the Elite racers and got the win. Sean came in second 40 seconds back, so he was only 10 seconds ahead of me in the overall at that point. The guy that won the TT ended up doing an extra lap, so he lost a lot of time.

So after the STXC, I was feeling good (Win #3 for the year), but none of that mattered for the cross country. It was four 8-mile laps in rain forest heat and humidity. Me and the guy who won the TT took off from the rest of the Expert guys, and ended up catching all the experts and about 4 Elite riders on the first lap. Then on the second lap he pulled away mid-way through and I never saw him again. He ended up winning by 5 minutes. That dude was really fast.

Here is a picture of one of the most awkward podiums I have ever seen.
Also, I unveiled my cool water bottle stand (my replacement for not having a girlfriend like a lot of cooler bike guys out there). But I ended up not having to test it out anyway, because some guys were awesome enough to hand off the bottles.

I got second overall in the stage race with one win out of three races. Today was comparatively painful to 24 Hours of Boyne. And it was so incredibly hot. And it was hard. But I love it.

5 comments:

Mike said...

What a weird looking podium, either way, good job Nicky.

Mike said...

Wait a minute, the hammer of Thor has been released, did I authorize its use? hhhhmmm, Nick, I think you should find your own hammer, Thor belongs to me!

Unknown said...

I inherited the hammer of Thor when you decided to go to Mahogany University.

Dad said...

way to go nick!!

Dad said...

Nick, that's Mr. B again