Friday, January 1, 2010

2009

The numbers for 2009 are dismal. In a year where I should have expanded on my training since I finally made the leap to Elite/Pro, I had my worst year in recent history.

I only rode 4515 miles and worked out 352 hours. Unfortunately, this works out to be less than one hour a day, which is way below par. Time spent on the MTB was still about the same as time on the road bike, though, so that is one good aspect of my training for the year.

With my ridiculously long hiatus from biking these past couple months, I took 33 more days off than last year, putting me to 137. That number has to go down.

My race count was half of what it was the previous year, with only 14. My only race win came with the Sofa King Fast team victory at Boyne. Finally, the year only included one century, when I usually do three or four.

Despite all this, I achieved my cycling goals for the year. My mission this year was to help Kelly develop into a better mountain biker and it happened. Kelly won the Sport Women 24 and under State Championship and she did very well at Iceman. So, yeah, it was a good year. Congrats to Kelly on her first full year of competition and good job with all the hard work.

The transition to Montana was hard and adapting is still a work in progress. But in order to start improving again and to get back to and beyond my competition level of 2008, I have to stop making excuses and get back to work.

I will make a picture collage soon of some of my favorite 2009 memories, but probably not until I get back to Montana, because I will probably use photoshop to make it. Happy 2010 everybody.

2 comments:

Mr. B said...

Nick- You sound a little hard on yourself. The Boyne win was just huge. Remember who's ass we kicked?
You had a lot going on this year and really did well where it counted.
Happy New Year and we wish you the best.
Talk to you soon,
Mr.B

Unknown said...

Thanks Mr. B.
I'm not discounting the Boyne win at all, I'm just saying I need to work harder if I want to keep up with the pros.
Sorry I didn't get to say goodbye. I'll see you in May for another great Boyne (if not sooner).