Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Stony Creek TT

This weekend I said my farewell to Robert Linden and the Tailwind circuit in my last race in Michigan for a while and my last Tailwind race probably for a long time.

I had hopes of making it on the podium for my exit, but midway through the race I remembered that endurance sports require a little more planning than a couple weeks in advance to get results. So, it was the usual deal where people pass me and I don't pass anyone back. Christian Tanguy started 3.5 minutes after me and passed me 8 miles in (out of 13). He ended up finishing with the winning time of 46 minutes, 6 minutes up on me.

The course was actually pretty tough with some challenging stream crossings and mud bogs at the end, where I actually dabbed three times, which really frustrated me. I ended up in 10th place out of 12, so I am still not getting DFL, which makes me happy enough.

Here is yet another stolen (but pretty cool) picture from Andrea Tucker:
Kelly broke her winning streak with a second place finish, but she had a great race and actually fared better than I did through the stream crossing near the end. And no bee stings this weekend, so all is well. She is still producing the best results for Team BCB and is improving like crazy.

Even though I didn't win, I was the only racer to track stand during my 30 second countdown on the line, so at least I am able to look cool while being slow. That is, after all, the most important part of bike racing- looking cool.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The outfit (kit) plays a big part in looking cool too - go Blue!!!
Mrs. B

Mike said...

Cool pic Nick, and good to see you getting in the top ten! I hope it was not a teary farewell to Robert, he is a good race organizer but I am not so sure about his consoling skills.