Monday, March 30, 2009

Road Racing?

Yesterday I hosted my 10th and 11th races as the Michigan Cycling president. I wasn't planning on participating in either because the weather outlook was actually pretty bad. I ended up doing both.

Many people were surprised to see me in a road bike race, especially after I had told everyone I wasn't racing, but I actually had fun. The weather turned out to be pretty nice for the circuit race and there were only 16 B racers, so I didn't feel like there was a great amount of danger in giving it a go. For this race I just stayed with the pack the whole time, until the end when all the accelerations came. MTBing doesn't have those accelerations except at the beginning, so I have never been able to hold on to those, so I ended up getting 12th.
For the TT, it started drizzling, but it wasn't so bad, so I decided to do this as well. I ended up being the last rider to go out, and about halfway through, it really started pouring. It was very fun though. Because of the rain and because my TT bike doesn't have real brakes, I took the really steep downhill way too slow, which cost me a bit of time. I ended up getting second, though, by 13 seconds. I am pretty happy with that, and I still think I am right about on schedule for my training plan.

Next race is on real bikes on April 19th at Yankee Springs. Should be nice and demoralizing, as I will be making my Elite debut (again).

No comments: